Frequently asked questions
Who participates in Buckeyes First?
- Buckeyes First is open to all first-year students that are first in their families to attend college. You are considered a first-generation student if neither parent earned a four-year degree, even if your parents attended four-year institutions or completed only two-year associate degrees. You are also considered first-generation if your older siblings attended/graduated from college, but your parents did not.
How many students can attend Buckeyes first?
- Buckeyes First accommodates 60 first-year students. Space fills up quickly, so sign up as soon as you know you want to attend.
What is the cost of the program?
- The cost for Buckeye First is $50 and includes early move-in daily fees, food, transportation, camp food and lodging, and all activities during the program.
How do I register for Buckeyes First?
- Registrater online at scarletandgray.osu.edu using the access code BF2016 no later than June 1, 2016. Registrations received after this date will be processed as space becomes available.
Do I need special equipment?
- For the overnight camping trip, Camp Kern will provide all the equipment for camping activities such as high ropes, zip lining, canoeing and others. Students are responsible for bringing equipment such as footwear, comfortable clothing for rain, cold and warm weather. Students will be sleeping in camp cabins and are required to bring sleeping bags or bed linens. Some items are available for rental at our Outdoor Adventure Center. (See packing list for more examples.)
Do I need previous camping experience?
- Camp Kern, which is the site for part of Buckeyes First, welcomes all first-year students of all camping experiences. Campers will be engaging in various physical activities, however, the typical active high school senior should have no limitations.
Where and when do I check in for the program?
- Students will arrive and check in for the program on the Ohio State campus. Specific locations and instructions will be communicated to registered students prior to their arrival date.
Will I be able to move into my residence hall early?
- As a part of attending Buckeyes First, students will move into their permanent residence hall the first day of the program. The fee to move in early is included in your registration. Please bring all move-in materials for your residence hall the day you arrive.
Should I bring a cell phone on the trip?
- Yes, however we ask that students refrain from using cell phones during all portions of the program unless specified. Please also be advised that cell phone service may not be available in some remote areas at camp.
What if I cancel my reservation?
- If you are no longer able to attend Buckeyes First, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Cancellations received after June 15 are non-refundable.
What if I can’t afford the registration deposit?
- First Year Experience offers need-based scholarships of $50 to cover participant fees. To be considered for a scholarship, please send a letter to email@example.com detailing your financial need and your interest in attending Buckeyes First.