At Ohio State, we place special emphasis on each student’s first year. Through research and our own experience, we know that the foundations built during the first year are key to a student’s success. Once you’re admitted to Ohio State, First Year Experience (FYE) picks up where Admissions leaves off – you’ll see us before school starts at orientation and during summer programs, and FYE initiatives and events throughout your first year will prepare you for a successful second year and beyond at Ohio State.
First Year Experience is dedicated to:
- Contributing to the university's goal of achieving excellence by improving first-year retention rates, with a focus on bridging the gap in performance between historically underserved populations and the overall student body;
- A data-driven approach to identify potential students to be served by specialized and equitable outreach and support;
- Understanding the needs of and advocating for students new to the university;
- Connecting students to people and resources that could help them in their transition to Ohio State.
First Year Experience uses research, collaboration and expertise to identify and support students through their transition and retention to the university.
First Year Experience is committed to these university values:
- Diversity in people and of ideas
- Access and affordability
- Collaboration and multidisciplinary endeavors
- Integrity, transparency and trust