General packing advice
Everything is on this packing list for a reason, so please bring all the required items. When we are on the trip, you will be upset if you forgot your sunscreen or rain gear!
While cotton clothes are comfortable and breathe well, they do not dry quickly and will not keep you warm if wet. Wool, synthetic fleece, polypropylene or polyester fabrics are a better choice for outer layers because they do not absorb water and keep you dry even when they get wet. Please keep this in mind as you are packing your clothes for the trip.
Space is at a premium, so pack efficiently. All of your gear should fit into something the size of a small suitcase. You may also want to bring a small bag/backpack for carrying items while hiking.
You are attending Buckeye Adventures to meet new people and experience the outdoors. Therefore, we ask that you leave electronic items at home. Electronics can only be used during travel times in the bus. Cell phone coverage may be limited in some camp areas. Also note that there are extremely limited power sources to charge your electronics.
- Sleeping bag (some are available to borrow upon request)
- Flashlight and/or lamp and extra batteries
- Large water bottle (1 quart/32 oz or larger preferred)
Day-to-day clothing (enough for 5 days):
- T-shirts, tops
- Quick drying shorts
- Fleece jacket/pullover or sweatshirt (it may get cool in the evening)
- Socks (enough for 5 days)
- Hiking shoes (sneakers or lightweight hiking shoes recommended)
- Water shoes
- Toiletries (travel-size recommended)
- Lip balm/chapstick (with sunscreen recommended)
- Insect repellent
- Raincoat (water/wind-proof jacket with a hood recommended)
- Money (for lunch on Monday; there will also be an opportunity to purchase rafting photos and videos)
- Camera (purchase a water-proof disposable camera if you want to take one on the raft)
- Trash bags (to protect your clothes in bad weather or for wet clothes)
- Flip-flops or sandals (to wear at camp)
- Wide-rimmed hat, ball cap or visor
- Sunglasses (must be attached with a string while rafting)
- Entertainment for travel/downtime (book, magazine, crossword, Sudoku, etc.)