Buckeye Adventures FAQs
Who participates in Buckeye Adventures?
- Buckeye Adventures is open to all transfer students and campus-change students on a first-come first-serve basis. On your trip, you will be joined by other transfers, professional staff from First Year Experience, and upper-class peer leaders to connect with.
How many students can participate?
- Buckeye Adventures can accommodate up to 35 transfer and campus-change students.
What is the cost of the program?
- $275. This fee includes all lodging, food, activities and transportation to and from campus to West Virginia.
How do I register for the program?
- Register online at scarletandgray.osu.edu using the access code BAT15 by July 3, 2015. Registrations received after this date will be processed as space becomes available.
Do I need special equipment?
- Most specialized camping equipment—tents, climbing gear, life vests and rafts—are provided by Ohio State or affiliated outfitters. Students are responsible for bringing personal items like clothing and proper footwear. Sleeping bags and pads are available to rent for a small fee, or students can bring their own. Please see the sample packing list for more details about equipment.
Do I need previous camping experience?
- As you may already know, college is about trying to new experiences! The Buckeye Adventure trip is designed to challenge students with various levels of camping experiences. Beginners will receive basic instruction for each activity and more experienced campers will also have the opportunity to challenge their comfort zones.
Are these trips safe?
- Like all physical activities, the Buckeye Adventures trip can present a risk. Ohio State and Adventures on the Gorge aim to minimize any risk by using only trained and certified professionals to facilitate activities. Emergency protocols are in place and will be followed if necessary. Ohio State has offered this trip consecutively for nine years without any serious injury and student safety always remains the first priority.
Do I need to know how to swim?
- Students are not required to know how to swim and will be equipped with a lifejacket while white water rafting but should be comfortable in water settings. Safety protocol training is provided to everyone attending along with the presence of certified rafting guides within each raft to minimize risk.
When and where do I check in for my trip?
- Students will check in on the Ohio State campus. Specific check-in times and locations will be sent to students after they register.
If I’m driving to Columbus, where can I park my car?
- Because parking is limited, we encourage you to have someone drop you off on the Ohio State campus or to carpool with other students from your area. For those who must drive to campus, limited parking is available for a separate fee. Please notify us when you register for your trip if you need a parking pass and you will receive additional information about where to park your car.
If I want to arrive a day early, where can I stay in Columbus?
- If you are interested in staying on campus before or after the trip please contact our Summer Conference Housing Office at 614-292-9725. Cost is $60/night.
Should I bring a cell phone on the trip?
- While you are permitted to bring a cell phone, we will ask you to turn off the phone during the day while participating in camp activities. You should also note that there are limited places with electricity to charge your phone, and cell phone service is not available in some remote areas of our camping locations.
What if I want to cancel my registration?
- If you are no longer able to attend Buckeye Adventures, you will need to contact our office at firstname.lastname@example.org. Fee refunds can take 4-6 weeks to process and will require additional paperwork.
- Cancellations received after June 15 are non-refundable.
What if I want to attend Buckeye Adventures but I can’t afford the participant fee?
- First Year Experience offers need-based scholarships up to $200 to help cover participant fees. To be considered for a scholarship, please send a letter to email@example.com detailing your financial need and your interest in attending Buckeye Adventures.