Frequently asked questions
How many students can attend Labor Day Getaway?
- Labor Day Getaway accommodates 50 first-year students. Space fills up quickly, so sign up as soon as you know you want to attend.
What is the cost for attending Labor Day Getaway?
- The cost for Labor Day Getaway is $30. This covers transportation, lodging, meals and all activities during the program.
How do I register for Labor Day Getaway?
- Register online at scarletandgray.osu.edu using the access code LDG2016 no later than August 29, 2016. Registrations received after this date will be processed as space becomes available.
Do I need special equipment?
- Heartland Conference Center will provide all equipment for outdoor activities. Students will be sleeping indoors in a lodge and are responsible for bringing sleeping bags or bed linens and footwear and comfortable clothing for rainy, cold and warm weather. Some items are available for rent from the Outdoor Adventure Center. (See the packing list for more examples)
Where and when do I check in for the program?
- Students will check in for the program on Sunday, September 4. Specific locations and instructions will be communicated to registered students prior to their arrival date.
Should I bring a cell phone on the trip?
- Yes. However, we ask that students refrain from using cell phones during all portions of the program unless specified. Cell phone service may not be available in some remote areas of the Heartland Conference Retreat Center.
What if I cancel my reservation?
- If you are no longer able to attend Labor Day Getaway, contact Louise Vasher. Cancellations received after August 15 are non-refundable.
What if I can’t afford the registration fee?
- First Year Experience offers need-based scholarships of $30 to cover participant fees. To be considered for a scholarship, please send a letter to Whitney Hawkins detailing your financial need and your interest in Labor Day Getaway.