FYE Student Leadership Positions
Transfer Peer Mentoring Program
The Peer Mentor Program is a semester-long commitment for both mentors and participants. Peer mentors connect particpants to the many resources and opportunities at Ohio State, provide encouragement and support for the academic and social transition to Ohio State, and facilitate relationship building among peers.
Mentors and mentees are expected to meet at least once a month. In addition, mentees will be expected to attend at least two of the four transfer workshops throughout the semester, which are both resource workshops and social gatherings to help you get acclimated and make the most of your first year at Ohio State.
Participants in the program:
- meet with your mentor once a month
- attend two or more workshops throughout the semester
- attend two or more TSAB events throughout the semester
- gain a support system
- connect with Ohio State’s many resources and services for academic and social success
- learn about opportunities for campus involvement
- experience Ohio State traditions with other students who have transferred here
- build meaningful and lasting relationships with your mentor and other students at the university
If you want to participate in this program, complete an interest form by September 1.
Interested in becoming a peer mentor?
Peer mentors are transfer or campus-change students currently enrolled at Ohio State (Columbus campus) who have completed at least 12 credit hours on the Columbus campus by August 2014 and whose baccalaureate degree will not be completed prior to December 2014. Applicants should be in good academic standing and good disciplinary standing and are representative of the diversity of the Ohio State community in their experience and interests. Peer mentor candidates should possess a variety of qualities, including (but not limited to):
- effective communication skills
- problem solving abilities
- pride in being an Ohio State student
- a desire to serve as a mentor and role model to first-year transfer students
- self-driven, dedicated and flexible
- a willingness to learn
- a desire to enhance the Ohio State experience for other transfer students
- committed, creative and hard-working
- attend and participate in all Peer Mentor training and development sessions (August/September 2014)
- provide mentorship to first-year transfer students by meeting with mentees at least once per month during the semester
- attend and assist with the coordination of Peer Mentoring Meet-ups
- provide critical feedback for FYE staff to better meet the needs of transfer students
- serve as a positive mentor and role model representing Ohio State while fostering a welcoming environment among its newest community members
Benefits of being a peer mentor
- development of skills in leadership, communication, and human relations
- cultivation of lasting relationships with university faculty, staff, and students
- contributing to FYE and other university-wide efforts to better serve one of the largest student populations at Ohio State
- résumé enhancement
To apply to be a mentor, complete a TSAB Peer Mentor Application by September 1.
If you have any questions concerning this position, please contact Tura Magley via email at email@example.com or by phone at 614-292-3717.
Questions? Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.