About Peer Leaders
Peer Leaders are a positive influence on the campus community by serving as a role model at all times. They are trained experts in the first-year student journey at Ohio State, having a broad understanding of the variables that may positively or negatively affect a first-year student’s experience. Peer Leaders represent the diversity of the Ohio State community in experience, interests and ideas. As they guide students through their first year, they will:
- Be an enrolled undergraduate at Ohio State's Columbus campus who has completed at least 12 credit hours at the Columbus campus; who will be enrolled at the Columbus campus both autumn and spring semesters; and whose undergraduate degree will not be completed prior to May 2021.
- Be in good academic standing, with a minimum 2.5 GPA and good disciplinary standing
- During the academic year, have no more than 10-15 hours of commitments outside of the Peer Leader position, such as employment, student organizations or volunteer positions; Peer Leaders will work with their supervisors to ensure that the Peer Leader position is a top priority outside of academics
- Be eligible to work in the United States in year-round employment
- Successfully pass a background check completed after employment offer
|Length of employment and remuneration
The weekly hour expectations of the staff will vary, depending on the time of year.
May 9-22, 2020
Note: FYE provides housing and meals only during summer outreach.
May 26-July 24, 2020
Aug. 9-14, 2020
Aug. 15 through Dec. 9, 2020 (autumn semester)
Jan. 11 through April 1, 2021 (spring semester)
Housing and partial meal plan will be provided during spring training and summer orientation, with the expectation that Peer Leaders will be in residence Sunday night through Thursday night. Housing is available with no live-in expectations during the week of June 29.
Peer Leaders will be paid at a rate of at least $10 per hour throughout the period of employment. During the academic year, Peer Leaders will have access to Dining Dollars to allow for consistent interactions with first-year students.
The Federal Work-Study Program is available (but not required) for this position.