About Peer Leaders
Peer Leaders are a positive influence on the campus community by serving as a role model at all times. They are trained experts in the first-year student journey at Ohio State, having a broad understanding of the variables that may positively or negatively affect a first-year student’s experience. Peer Leaders represent the diversity of the Ohio State community in experience, interests and ideas. They guide students through their first year primarily by:
- Currently enrolled undergraduate student at Ohio State (Columbus) who has completed at least 12 credit hours (at Ohio State Columbus), will be enrolled at Ohio State (Columbus) both autumn and spring semesters, and whose undergraduate degree will not be completed prior to May 2018
- Good academic standing with a minimum 2.5 GPA and good disciplinary standing
- During academic year, no more than 10-15 hours of commitments outside of Peer Leader position, such as employment, student organizations and volunteer positions; PLs will work with supervisors to ensure that the PL position is a top priority outside of academics.
- Eligible to work in the United States in year-round employment
- Successfully pass a background check completed after employment offer
|Length of employment and remuneration
The weekly hour expectations of the staff will vary, depending on the time of year.
May 8-26, 2017
Note: FYE provides housing and meals only during summer outreach.
May 30-July 28, 2017
July 31-Aug. 16, 2017
Aug. 17-Dec. 6, 2017 (autumn semester)
Jan. 8-April 30, 2018 (spring semester)
Housing and meals will be provided from May 8 through July 28, with the expectation that Peer Leaders will be in residence Sunday night through Thursday night. Housing is available but with no live-in expectations during the break week of July 3-7.
Peer Leaders will be paid at a rate of $10 per hour throughout the period of employment. During the academic year, peer leaders will have access to Dining Dollars to allow for consistent interactions with first-year students.