Complete the online application by April 25, 2014
The First Year Leadership Collaborative, established by University Orientation and First Year Experience in 2005, is a leadership development conference designed to equip new Buckeyes who are committed to making a difference in collaboration with their peers at Ohio State. The Leadership Collaborative prepares participants to serve as first-year peer leaders who lead with vision and purpose in the classrooms, residence halls and throughout the Ohio State community.
The Leadership Collaborative experience begins with a required summer conference that explores both the practical and theoretical foundations of peer leadership. While at the conference, participants will learn:
- tools to find balance and success in their transition to college
- how to support fellow first-year students in their transition to college
- the importance of building healthy and authentic relationships on campus
- the keys to establishing a network of mentors and friends
- practical strategies for living and leading in a new community
- how to address the difficult issues of leadership
- essential leadership skills like effective communication, contributing to a group process, and utilizing your leadership strengths and values
The Leadership Collaborative Conference
Tuesday, July 29 through Friday, August 1, 2014
Conference Center at NorthPointe in Lewis Center, Ohio
Students accepted to the Leadership Collaborative will receive detailed conference information upon acceptance. The cost to attend the conference is $200, which includes conference housing, meals and transportation during the conference. Students are required to cover the cost of transportation to and from the conference. Disability accommodations and travel assistance are available upon advance request.
The four-day conference can be an intensive and demanding experience for those who participate. In order to meet the goals of the Leadership Collaborative, students will be asked to participate in all scheduled activities, which begin early in the morning and extend late in the evening. Daily activities include a combination of small group sessions, large group activities, networking opportunities, and afternoon and evening excursions to campus and downtown Columbus.
As a result of being selected for the Leadership Collaborative, participants are expected to implement what they learned at the conference by contributing to Ohio State’s first-year class in positive, meaningful ways.
Other Leadership Collaborative highlights include:
- Opportunities to meet with leaders from the Ohio State and Columbus communities
- Visits to campus and downtown Columbus
- Celebration of Ohio State traditions and values
Contact Ryan Provost, email@example.com